Apr 14, 2009

How To Participate

If you participated in the original Nebraska Learns 2.0 program you should already have completed the prerequisites listed below. Skip straight to the Sign Up to Participate step.

If you are new to Nebraska Learns 2.0, you will need to complete the prerequisites and then sign up to participate. Prerequisites include setting up the blog that you will use to post responses to the various Things, watching a short video tutorial on lifelong learning, and posting your reaction to the video to your blog. You will earn one CE credit for completing the prerequisites.

It's never too late to join in the fun, so why not sign up and start participating today?

Prerequisites - Required for those who didn't participate in the first Nebraska Learns 2.0.
  1. Set up a blog
  2. Watch the video on lifelong learning
  3. Create an initial blog post on your blog in which you reflect on the lifelong learning video. If you have suggestions for Things you'd like us to cover, please include those as well.
*** Although not a formal prerequisite, we strongly recommend that new participants sign up for a free account with an RSS reader service like Bloglines or Google Reader. If you aren't familiar with RSS readers, we suggest you review Thing #6: Make life "really simple" with RSS & a newsreader, a lesson from the original Nebraska Learns 2.0 program that describes why and how to use such a service. 

Sign Up to Participate - Required of ALL participants.

Email Susan Knisely and tell her you are planning to participate in Nebraska Learns 2.0. You must include the following information in your email message:
  1. Name
  2. Library name
  3. Email address we can use to get in touch with you if necessary
  4. Alternate communication method we can use to get in touch with you (work or home phone number, different email address, etc.)
  5. Blog name
  6. Blog URL (e.g., if you are using blogger it will be something like http://xxx.blogspot.com/)
Start Participating!

Once you've signed up to participate (and completed the prerequisites if you're new to the program) you're ready to get started! Here's how it works:

At the beginning of each month (starting May 1, 2009) we will post a new Thing for you to do to our Nebraska Learns 2.0 blog (http://nelearns.blogspot.com/). (Remember, a "Thing" is essentially a lesson or learning activity.) You will have the remainder of the month to explore and experiment with the Thing, complete any assigned activities, and then create a post on your own blog reflecting on the Thing.

Your blog post must describe which Thing you have completed, what your experience was learning about it--easy, hard, impossible, ideas about how you might use this Thing in your library or media center or in other areas of your life, and other comments on the process.

While we don't expect a dissertation on every Thing, we do expect thoughtful reflection and active participation that is clear in the post. Single line posts or those that show perfunctory participation will not be counted.

After you have written and published YOUR blog post, return to the Nebraska Learns 2.0 blog and leave a comment on OUR original post on that Thing. Your comment should direct readers back to YOUR blog post on the Thing. (This is how we will know you are done with the Thing.) The easiest way to do this is to include the permalink of your blog post in the comment.

You must complete your blog post on a Thing before the end of the month in which the Thing was introduced in order to earn CE credit. Please include the Thing # in the title of your blog post to assist us in identifying and tracking your progress!

Additional Questions?
 
Check out our FAQ and Helpful Hints!

If you don't find your answer there, Contact Us.

14 comments:

Hummer said...

The video seemed to make a lot of sense and be very basic as far as all of us being life long learners. When it comes to technology I get cold feet and feel "dumb" so I need to address Habit 4 and have confidence in myself as an effective competent learner, which I have always been. Number 7 1/2 is also relevant because I don't feel I have time to "play" at work when there are so many other things pending. I do know that this is how kids learn so I am trying to do better at "playing" with the computer. I also feel that often times there are just not enough instructions. I was able to create a blog and watch and comment on the video but then I found no information on how to post my comments. I spent lots of time with trial and error that would have not been necessary if I had instructions on how to do that or did I miss that part? This is a test to see if this trial was successful. I did solicit the help of a friend but she was also unclear.

Carol E said...

I am redoing and reviewing the 23 Things, hoping to be able to work more independently this time. Again, I will try to regard these activities as "play" and perhaps this time around the activities will seem less tedious. My background is one of "work hard" encouragement, so probably my attitude needs adjusting to realize that work can also be fun and "play".

Carol E said...

http://carol-hoorayya.blogspot.com/2009/04/lifelong-learning.html

Web Diva said...

I have just completed Thing #2: 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners. View my blog post at http://rollingalonginnebraska.blogspot.com/2009/04/this-is-my-first-blog-as-part-of.html.

ErinZaback said...

WOW! I am so confused after yesterday and today. For some reason I now have 2 blogs - erinloves2read and ErinZaback. When I posted a comment today it is showing up at ErinZaback but not erinloves2read. But somehow these are connected???? Please help

Allana said...

Hi Erin! I’ll get in touch with you and hopefully we can figure out what’s going on.

Loves 2 Read said...

Here I am again! I figured out the two Blogs - thanks Alanna! My posting for Thing #24 can be found at http://erinslearning.blogspot.com/2009/05/thing-24.html

Judy H said...

http://tall-lady.blogspot.com/2009/05/just-completed-watching-video-and.html

Michelle said...

Here I am thinking about lifelong learning and learning about permalinks. Hope I did it right.

http://wtg20.blogspot.com/2009/05/prerequisite.html

Carole Matthews said...

It took me three weeks to get my post completed but here it is.
http://prairie-prose.blogspot.com/2009/05/thing-24-feed-your-librarys-ego.html

Alyx said...

I just posted a comment on my blog, markothemuse.blogspot.com about the Nebrasks Learns 2.0. I am excited to be learning about Pixir and Aviary...both sites I am not familiar with.

Jamie said...

I am just starting the Nebraska Learns 2.0 program. Here is my first post about about the video we had to watch. Looking forward to learning!! ~Jamie
http://doinitthewrightway.blogspot.com/2010/09/nebraska-learns-20.html

Andrew "Sherm" Sherman said...

Watching this video really defined me as being a lifelong learner.

http://shermsez.blogspot.com/2010/12/ne-learns-20-lifelong-learning.html

MariaCfromVAL said...

Well, I'm having trouble leaving a link here to the blog entry which is my comment. It doesn't seem to want to copy and paste as a live link. As an UNLIVE link, it reads like this:

http://mariacfromval.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/lifelong-learning-slideshow-and-documents/