Apr 12, 2009

Lifelong Learning

As we embark on this online learning and discovery journey, we will start by reviewing a few habits that can assist us in becoming better lifelong learners.

The Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County has put together a list of habits for lifelong learning. The list and accompanying tutorial is titled 7 ½ Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners. This tutorial will provide us with a refresher on what it means to be a lifelong learner. As you watch the tutorial, think about how these habits relate to your own life.

For this exercise you will watch the 7 ½ Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners tutorial. It's approximately 14 minutes long. This tutorial includes audio so it would be helpful to have headphones or speakers attached to your computer. If you cannot hear the audio the text of the presentation is also made available.

Discovery Exercise:
  1. During the tutorial the presenter will pause so you can download two handouts. You may wish to use the following links to download them before you start the tutorial. (Some folks have encountered problems downloading the files from within the presentation.)
    - Learning Contract
    - 7 1/2 Habits
     
  2. View the 7 ½ Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners tutorial (below). As you watch and listen, write down which habit among the 7 & 1/2 is easiest for you and which is hardest. (At this time the original video has been removed from the source Web site but this PPT version is available. We're working to find a new copy of the video.)
  3. Create an initial post on your blog in which you reflect on the 7 and 1/2 lifelong learning habits. Which one might be easiest for you? Hardest? Why?
Have fun! It's never too late to become a lifelong learner!

6 comments:

hella said...

I hope I am following all the instructions. So far this is very interesting.
Never too old to learn.

Michael Sauers said...

hella,

You're on the right track. If you've written a post of your own just leave another comment with the URL of that post and we'll be sure to give you your credit.

Michael

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

I have watched the video on life long learning and I think that this will be very interesting and educational. Can't wait to start posting and blogging.

Brandie Harlow said...

I loved the "Lifelong Learning" video! I Teach these lessons to my children daily. I will use the contract and 7 1/2 habits.

Cynthia said...

This is cool! I'm happy to discover you.