Sep 1, 2010

Thing #40 Funky Photos

Wow! It's hard to believe we are up to Thing #40 already. Looking back over the topics we have covered, I realized a number of the sites we explored allow users to upload their own profile pictures and some, such as Facebook, Flickr and Blogger, even allow you to upload multiple photos. I thought this might be a good time to explore two online image editors to see how they can be used to make our images a bit more interesting.

Although there are a number of sites online that allow you to edit images, I’m going to focus on just two of them, Aviary and Pixlr. Both of these sites offer way too many options for us to cover in Thing #40, so we are going to skip right to the fun, creative stuff and use the filters and adjustment options these sites offer to create some unique photos. We will be able to make a photo look old, create an engraved effect, change the coloring, plus a ton more effects with just a few mouse clicks.

Before we start exploring the software, you might want to spend a few minutes thinking about your assignment. For this month’s assignment you will need use both Aviary and Pixlr to enhance at least one image and then include the manipulated images in your blog post. You can use the same image with both sites or a different image for each site. Don’t panic if you don’t have an image available to play with. I’ve put a few of my own photos online that you can use.

Here are a few basic things that apply to both sites.
  • Both sites have an Undo option located under the Edit menu. I’m guessing you will be using the Undo option a lot, I know I do. Using the Undo option makes it easy to try something and then Undo it if it doesn’t look so good.

  • As you work with different images you may notice that some images work better with one filter but not as well with another. The results really depend on the filter and the image.

  • Most times you can apply more than one filter to an image.
  • Both sites allow users to either enter the URL of an image or upload an image from your computer. If you are going to use one of my sample photos you can use either option.

    • Go the album of sample photos.
    • Click on the thumbnail of the image you’d like to use to enlarge the image.
    • To download the image select the Download option and save it to your computer. Make sure you note where it’s saved.
    • You can also just grab the URL of the image.
      • In IE right click on the image and select properties. Select and copy the Address (URL) of the image.
      • In Firefox right click on the image and select Copy Image Location
Pixlr - http://pixlr.com/


Let’s start by uploading a photo. Here are some suggestions of where to start. For the lesson you will need to spend some time playing with the different options. After you create an image you like, don’t forget to Save it.


  • Want to see some examples of what you can do before you start? Check out some of the images I’ve altered. In the caption under each image I noted what filter I used to create that effect.
  • Under Adjustments – Select Curves. Under the Presets drop down there are great options such as Vintage The 60’s and Chrome for B&W.
  • Also under Adjustments is Color Lookup. This option provides many fun ways to change the colors of your photo.
  • Under Filter try Halftone, Engrave, and Find edges.
  • If you are using a photo of a person make sure you try Filter – Glamour Glow. It will give that soft, fuzzy glamour feeling to your photo.


Save Your Images in Pixlr

  1. After archiving your desired look select File.
  2. Select Save
  3. Enter the name of your image.
  4. Make sure Save to my Computer is selected.
  5. Click OK.
  6. The Save As box will appear. You may need to add the file extension to the file name if it’s missing. For example if your image name is lama you need to actually type lama.jpg. It’s a good idea to make sure the image downloaded correctly before you close the image.

Aviary - http://aviary.com/

Aviary is a suite of tools. The two tools we will explore are the Image Editor Phoenix and the Effects Editor Peacock. Let’s start by uploading a photo into the Image Editor. Here are some suggestions of where to start. After you create an image you like, don’t forget to export it.

  • Want to see some examples of what you can do before you start? Check out some of the images I’ve altered.
  • Try some of the options available under the Filters options. Skip the Peacock option for now. (Don’t forget the Undo if you try something and don’t like it.)
  • Ready for more? Now let’s select the Filter Layer in Peacock. This will open the Peacock tool. This one takes a couple of more steps to use.
    • In the middle of the screen you should see two boxes connected by a line. One box will be labeled Resource and the other Canvas.
    • Click on the Effects tab along the left side of the screen.
    • Select an Effect you would like to try. Drag the box over between the Resource and Canvas boxes. As you do that you should see two orange lines appear connecting the box you are dragging to both the Resource and Canvas boxes. Let go of the mouse button. All of your boxes should now be connected.
    • The image on the Canvas box should now be updated to show the filter you applied.
    • Adventurous folks may want to play with some of the Properties options that are available for most of the Effects options. To see the options click on the Effects box and the Properties tab which should be available along the right side of the screen. Now start changing options. If that’s a bit overwhelming most filters have a Randomize option located at the bottom of the tab.
    • If you don’t like the Effects box you selected, it can be removed by double clicking on the trashcan icon located on the box you’d like to remove.
Exporting Your Images in Aviary (There is an option to save the file, however I am just going to cover exporting your image to your computer.)

  1. After archiving your desired look select File.
  2. Select Export Image (In Peacock select Export Canvas as Bitmap.)
  3. In the drop down menu select the file type. In most cases the JPG(*.jpg) option should work.
  4. Click on generate image. (In Peacock select Export Image.)
  5. After the image is generated click Download and save the image to your computer. (You may need to add the file extension to the file name if it’s missing.) It a good idea to make sure the image downloaded correctly before you close the image.
I hope you had fun creating some unique photos and I look forward to seeing them.

Assignment
  1. Use both Aviary and Pixlr to enhance at least one image and then include the images or the links to your images in your blog post. You can use the same image with both sites or a different image for each site.
  2. Blog about your experience. Here are some things to think about: What did you think about the sites? Did you prefer one over the other? What’s your favorite filter? Are you going to add any of the photos you manipulated to your web or social sites?
  3. How else could you use these in your library? Would the teens in your library have fun creating funky images?

15 comments:

Susie Dunn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susie Dunn said...

This was fun. See my thoughts at:
http://suzyq-susielearns20.blogspot.com/2010/09/funky-photos.html

Carole Matthews said...

I am doing this in two parts - one for each image editor. The first for Pixlr:http://prairie-prose.blogspot.com/2010/09/40-funky-photos-pixlr.html

Susie Dunn said...

I commented to Carole at her blog but it bears repeating that she did a lovely job. Pixir is indeed a fun tool.

Michael Sauers said...

I uploaded, I funked, I blogged.
http://travelinlibrarian.info/2010/09/thing-40c-funky-photos/

Sarah said...

I enjoyed this very much see how I did at http://sarah-nebraskalearns20.blogspot.com/

Barbara Brown said...

I agree with SuzyQ, this was fun. It was great to see some of the online editors. I had not seen these two before. You can see my images and blog at http://brownlearning2.blogspot.com/

Becky B. @ Bibliognome said...

Thing #40

http://bibliognome.blogspot.com/2010/09/thing-40-funky-photos.html

Alyx said...

I left two photos on my blog but both were from pixlr. I could not get aviary to work. More comments on http://markothemuse.blogspot.com/2010/09/here-are-my-photos-i-have-played-with.htmlmy blog.

Jamie said...

After many hours, I completed this assignment. I loved playing with Pixlr! Please check out my cool (in my humble opinion) photos at http://doinitthewrightway.blogspot.com/2010/09/photo-editing-sights.html

Susan said...

Here's the link to my blog post which contains four modified images.

Anonymous said...

Pixlr vs. Aviary - http://christajoy.blogspot.com/2010/09/funky-photos-pixlr-vs-aviary.html

Marguerite said...

I thought that #40 was a lot of fun to do. Here is my posting. http://daisyspearls.blogspot.com/

Ooops, I forgot that I had to post to this blog (I had sent the link to Christa instead) as I do this so sporadically, and Christa gently reminded me today to post here.

Marguerite said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allana said...

For those of you who enjoyed creating Funky Photos you will want to check out Picnik and the great Halloween effects, stickers, and fonts they’ve made available. Now you can give yourself vampire eyes and fangs. If you’re not into vampires you can always paint your face or add a mask. When you’re done add a caption using fonts that look like skeletons, ghosts or dripping blood. The majority of the options are free however there are some options that are only available to members who have upgraded to a premium account. Start having fun at: picnik.com/halloween.